Do you love applesauce? I don’t in particular, but my family does! My husband loves to take a huge mason jar to work so he can snack on it through the week. I have come to appreciate making my own, as I like to make my own everything. Our local grocery stores sell bags of apples for $1, maybe a little more when the produce starts to bruise. I like to take advantage of the sales and will buy a few bags to make this super easy sauce!
You’ll need a crockpot for this recipe. I love the “set it and forget it” way of cooking while I go about my day. I like to leave the skins on because it can give a really pretty color to the applesauce. Penzeys spices are worth every penny. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I sure do love to use their spices!
- 8-10 apples seeded and cubed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Penzeys apple pie spice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- zest of one small orange (optional)
- Into the crockpot, set on low, combine all ingredients.
- Let cook for 4 hours or until apple can be easily pierced with fork.
- Using an immersion blender, blend up the ingredients and carefully transfer into mason jars or tupperware containers. Can freeze or be left in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.