I haven’t posted in a while. There’s been a lot happening in our family and it hasn’t always been good things. I realized this morning that I really wanted to cook something. Something yummy that filled a void and opened my heart. So… I decided to try to something new mixed with some of my old favorite things.
Never had I ever made blackened tilapia. It was a first for me. Guys, I won’t ever go back. It was so good.
My first step was to make the avocado topping. I call it, “the goop”. I was so proud of Ellie. We were at the store today and as I was picking a few out, she shouted, “avocado!” as loud as possible. Everyone looked up and applauded her. That is no easy feat for a newly 2 yr old to belt out.
For the avocado goop:
- 2 avocado’s, halved, pitted, and insides thrown into the food processor.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs sour cream
- 1-2 tbs red onion
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 of the juice and zest of a lime
- 1/2 tsp of: salt, oregano, cumin, paprika, cayenne, pepper
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
Run everything in the food processor, except for the cilantro. I like to add this in the end and give it a pulse or two for texture and appearance.
Next, the parts that go with the taco:
- Corn or flour tortillas *we are very flour tortilla in this household
- green cabbage very finely shredded
- 1/4 jalapeno finely diced
- 1/4 red onion very finely chopped
- 1-2 limes cut into wedges
- cilantro- a lot! chopped
- olives if you like
- a mix of 1/4c mayo, 1 tsp sriracha, 1/4 sour cream mixed together
For the Fish:
- Tilapia (1 lb makes about 4-6 tacos)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tbs oil for cooking
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Rub the fish with the seasonings.
- Heat your pan and oil to a med-high heat.
- Cook each side of fish for about 4 min/side.
- There will be a fragrance. This means good things!
- Pull the fish from the pan and it should flake apart as you dig in.
- Place a tortilla (warmed is our preference) on a plate. Add the cabbage, jalapeno, onion, fish, cilantro, and goop along with whatever you want such as the sour cream/mayo/sriracha sauce. Squeeze some lime on there too, for good measure.
Take a bite,